First Niagara Takes Over Many HSBC Branches Friday: What You Need To Know
HSBC Bank will be handing over many of its branches – and accounts – to First Niagara Bank tomorrow. If you’re one of the customers affected by the changes, there are a few things it may help to know.
First Niagara is about to take over 70-percent of HSBC’s Branches in the Buffalo area. Keybank and and couple of other smaller banks will take ownership of the remaining branches later this year.
If you’re one of those affected by the moves this week, you likely have already been contacted by First Niagara. Many folks still though appear to have questions about the changes. We’ve compiled the answers to some of those questions.
1. Your Debit Card: Your HSBC debit card will stop working Friday, May 18th, 2012 and 3pm. You will need to activate the First Niagara card (you should have received in the mail).
2. Your Credit Card: Your HSBC Credit Card will stop working on Sunday, May 20th, 2012. You won’t be able to activate your new First Niagara credit card until Sunday.
3. Direct Deposit: Your direct deposit paycheck should transfer over automatically. If there is an issue, you will be notified.
4. Checks: You should start using the First Niagara checks that were sent to you. Any HSBC checks you may have written still have 90 days to clear.
5. Online Banking: You’ll have to sign up for online banking on First Niagara’s website.
6. Interest rates: Your interest rates will stay the same whether it be for a credit card, mortgage or other loan.
For more information, check out First Niagara’s Website.