Bye-Bye, Bugs — Here’s How to Make a Homemade Mosquito Trap
You could go out and buy a mosquito zapper, but why not make one at home for way less money! Here is a recipe for a homemade mosquito trap -- and all you need is an old soda bottle and some kitchen items.
HOMEMADE MOSQUITO TRAP
1 cup of water
1/4 cup of brown sugar
1 gram of yeast (You don't need a lot)
2-liter plastic bottle
How to do it:
1. Cut the plastic bottle in half.
2. Mix brown sugar with hot water. Let cool. When cold, pour in the bottom half of the bottle.
3. Add the yeast. No need to mix. It creates carbon dioxide, which attracts mosquitoes.
4. Place the funnel part, upside down, into the other half of the bottle, taping them together if desired.
5. Wrap the bottle with something black, leaving the top uncovered, and place it outside in an area away from your normal gathering area. (Mosquitoes are also drawn to the color black.)
Change the solution every two weeks for continuous control.
Someone on the Facebook page that I found this on also suggested a white bucket with two scoops of chlorine in the bottom of it, but I would worry about animals eating that! The above has nothing toxic.