Forget Store-Bought — Here’s How to Make Homemade Peeps!
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 egg whites
- 2T. powdered gelatin
- 4T. cold water
- 1t. vanilla extract
- food coloring of your choice
- Mix powdered gelatin with cold water (add extra water if needed) and set aside.
- Combine corn syrup, sugar, and water in saucepan and bring to 235 degrees using a candy thermometer.
- While bringing sugar mixture to a boil begin whipping egg whites in mixer till soft peaks form.
- When sugar mixture reaches 235 degrees add gelatin and quickly stir to dissolve.
- Slowly add hot mixture to whipping whites.
- Add vanilla and whip till stiff.
- Add food coloring if desired. Please note you only need a few drops.
- Cover a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Cover parchment with powdered sugar(don’t be cheap)
- Fill a piping bag with marshmallow.
- Pipe a tear drop shape first.
- Then pipe the peep by squeezing the marshmallow on top of the tear drop pulling the piping bag up. Slowly release your pressure and bring forward.
- Allow peeps to dry overnight in a cool dry place.
- Brush lightly with water.
- Brush with disco dust.
- Place the eyes on them using a toothpick dipped in food coloring.
* When you have marshmallow in the mixer make sure you keep the mixer on. If you let marshmallow sit it will dry out and be useless.
* Put a lot of powdered sugar under the peeps. They are very sticky.
* Disco dust colors I used: baby blue, baby yellow, baby green, pink, and baby pink. I couldn’t find lavender, but the baby pink is not very pink at all, and worked perfectly.