Laura’s Low-Carb, Bacon-Wrapped, Thyme-Scented Chicken Cordon Bleu Recipe!
I firmly believe everything’s better with bacon.
Wrap a stapler in bacon, I’ll eat it.
NOTE: This is my own “recipe”….Feel free to add/take away whatever you like! BUT DON’T TOUCH THE BACON!!! 😉
Last night, I planned on making Chicken Cordon Bleu for dinner — homemade of course. I’ve made it a thousand times. So I wanted to kick it up a notch. I added a hint of thyme, used honey maple black forest ham and wrapped that sucker in bacon.
I’ll never make it any other way. It was AMAZING.
I’m a low-carb kind of gal, so I served it with my Parmesan-infused mashed cauliflower casserole and steamed asparagus with lemon, garlic and butter.
Many of you asked for my recipe…and it couldn’t be simpler!
BACON-WRAPPED, THYME-SCENTED CHICKEN CORDON BLEU
4 chicken cutlets, pounded thin
8 thin slices honey/maple black forest ham
8 thick cut slices of bacon
1 c. shredded Swiss cheese
1 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
Salt/pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Lay 4 cutlets out on aluminum foil (easier for clean up!). Lightly sprinkle salt, pepper, and thyme (crush thyme between fingers first to release oils!).
- Sprinkle small amount of cheese on each cutlet (enough to serve as “glue” when it melts to keep ham stuck to chicken!). Lay 2 slices of ham over cheese. Sprinkle equal amounts of remaining cheese over ham.
- Gently roll cutlets into burrito-sized little packages.
- Lay 2 strips of bacon down, and roll your little cutlet packet up in the bacon. Secure with toothpicks as necessary.
- Place chicken/porky packets seam-down on baking sheet. Bake 35 minutes. Cook ’til bacon is crisp and/or internal temperature reaches 180 on a digital thermometer.
My favorite low-carb side goes perfectly with the flavors (especially if you decide to add crumbled bacon to the mix…that’s your choice!).
PARMESAN-INFUSED CAULIFLOWER CASSEROLE
1 medium-large head cauliflower
1/4 c. softened cream cheese
2 tbls. butter
3/4 c. Parmesan cheese, divided
1 tbls. granulated garlic
1 1/2 tbls. olive oil
1 egg (optional)*
Salt/pepper to taste
- Preheat oven 425 (if making with the above recipe, just toss this in during the last 10-12 minutes of chicken baking! easy!).
- Cut cauliflower into equal 2 inch sections. Add to a pot along with enough water to cover. Boil until cauliflower is RIDICULOUSLY soft. Almost mushy. Drain WELL. Return cooked cauliflower to pan.
- Add cream cheese, butter, 1/2 c. Parmesan cheese, garlic, and salt & pepper.
- With hand masher (or you can put it all in a food processor), mash together to smooth, mashed potato consistency. (*If mixture is too watery, add one beaten egg.)
- Pour into 9×9 baking tin, sprayed with non-stick spray. Sprinkle remaining 1/4 c. Parmesan cheese over top. Drizzle olive oil over entire thing to help with browning.
- Bake 10-15 minutes, until top is golden brown.