Recipe: Cherry Pie
Everywhere I look I see cherries. It's cherry season and I'm excited. Who doesn't love the smell of a fresh baked pie. I would think twice about placing my pies in the window. As you know the bees and I don't get along. This is an easy happy recipe. Purchase pre made crusts or make them yourself.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. refrigerate pastry.
- Drain cherries, reserving 1 cup liquid. In a saucepan combine sugar, flour and salt. Stir in cherry liquid and bring to a boil, stirring often. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Mixture will thicken.
- When mixture is thickened, add butter, almond extract, food coloring and cherries. Cover and refrigerate.
- On lightly covered surface, roll out half of the pastry into an 11 inch circle. Put into 9 inch pie dish. Roll other half of pastry into another 11 inch circle. cut eight 1/2 inch strips.
- Pour cooled cherry filling into pie dish. Place pastry strips horizontally, then vertically, across the top of the pie and lightly brush with egg yolk. Bake 30 to 35 minutes, and cool before serving.