RECIPE: Chocolate Popcorn
Just the mention of popcorn and I swoon. I admit that I can and will eat a whole bag of kettle popcorn. I'm addicted to the stuff. It's not possible for me to see a movie and not get a small bag of popcorn, I do skip the butter oil. I have to save a few calories somewhere. Putting chocolate and popcorn together completely changes everything. Try a little chocolate with your popcorn and you won't be able to keep your hands out of the bowl.
- 2 quarts popped popcorn
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup corn syrup
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Oil a 10x15 inch baking pan with sides.
- Place popcorn and nuts into a large, metal bowl, and set aside. Stir together the sugar, corn syrup, cocoa powder, and butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat until it comes to a boil. Boil for 2 minutes. Stir in the vanilla, then pour over the popcorn. Stir until the popcorn is well coated. Spread the popcorn into the prepared pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, stirring several times.
- Remove from the oven, and allow to cool to room temperature. Break into small clumps, and store in an airtight container.