RECIPE: Memorial Day Baked Beans
It's here, It's here !! I'm so excited I had to scream it twice. It's Memorial day weekend. This is the kick off to summer 2012. If you have been diligent and hanging on to the New Years resolution of dropping pounds, now is the time to let go. All weekend I will post recipes for the weekend cookout or cool out. It wouldn't be a feast without baked beans. I know someone who goes as far as to name his beans "Baby AJ's". Now that is a dedicated bean lover.
- 2 (28 ounce) cans grandma's baked beans
- 1 small sweet onion, chopped
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 6 strips of thick sliced smoked bacon
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 teaspoons prepared yellow mustard
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F
- In a large bowl, stir together the baked beans, onion, brown sugar, molasses, ketchup and mustard. Pour into a baking dish, and lay strips of bacon across the top.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes in the preheated oven, until the bacon is browned and the beans have thickened.