Tasty Treats That Are Good For You!
Wow, being on vacation this time of year I find myself home eating every holiday treat in sight! I can use some advice like this.... "Some of the tastiest treats of the season pack a powerful nutritional wallop," says Jennifer McDaniel, a registered dietitian and director of undergraduate programs in nutrition and dietetics at St. Louis University. Here are the top five power foods for your holiday munching:
- Cranberries -- High in vitamin C, cranberries contain more disease-fighting antioxidants than most other berries.
- Cinnamon -- About a half-teaspoon of cinnamon a day lowers the blood-sugar levels in patients who have type 2 diabetes and reduces bad cholesterol, some studies show.
- Nuts -- Evidence is mounting that nuts help control your weight and decrease your risk of cancer, heart disease and diabetes.
- Red Wine -- Appropriately colored for the season, red wine is a particularly rich source of antioxidants.
- Pomegranates -- Their juice may have two or three times the antioxidant power of green tea or wine.