Valentine’s Day Fun Facts
Valentine’s Day is a day where lovers come together and express themselves in a way that is sincere (and sometimes cheesy), but here are a few things you might not know about this heartfelt holiday courtesy of AL.com (and some comments by yours truly:))
1. The holiday is named after St. Valentine who was beheaded for going against the Emperor Claudius’ order to ban engagement and marriages. Too many soldiers were not wanting to fight because of their wives and children so they made it illegal to marry. On the bright side, divorce rates went to an all time low.
2. About 3% of pet owners give gifts to their pets. 97% realize they are just pets. (relax, that was a joke, you don’t need to call and text about how your pets are kids!)
3. According to Hallmark, 50% of Valentine’s Day cards are purchased within 6 days of the holiday. I’m not sure what the big deal with this stat is. The card is not more special if it’s purchased 2 months in advance!
4. In the Middle Ages, young men and women drew names to see who would be their Valentine. The name would be pinned to their sleeve, inspiring the expression “to wear your heart on your sleeve.” Sleeveless shirts became obsolete and were practically given away during this time, hence the name Tank Top. I made that up but it sounds like a real fact doesn’t it??
5. More than 50 million roses are sold on Valentine’s Day. As bad as your job may be, at least you don’t have to track 50 million roses.
HAPPY VALENTINE’S DAY EVERYONE!!