Warnings and Tips for WNY Snow Plowing Scams
It's here... snow is in the forecast for this weekend, which means the need for snow plowing services will also be here. The BBB (Better Business Bureau) is warning WNY about possible scammers that are working in private snow plowing services.
According to WGRZ the local BBB last year had to resolve 128 complaints about snow removal scams.
Here are the tips to avoid scams provided by Melanie McGovern of the BBB
- Get your contract in writing, and read the fine print
- Pay with a check, not cash
- Meet your contractor in person at your home; don't rely solely on a phone conversation
- Ask for references so you can examine the contractor's reputation
- Split your payments (perhaps half up front, half midway through the season)
- Check for licensing in municipalities that require it
- Make sure the contractor has an address on the contract and not just a phone number
- Check BBB.org to see past complaints, letter grade, etc.
- Report any scams to the Better Business Bureau, local police and the New York State Attorney General's Office
Have you experienced a snow plow scam? Any other tips to provide? Comment below.