What Do I Wear On A Date? A Guide For Both Men And Women
Generally speaking, getting ready for a date can be summed up like this:
FOR WOMEN — What should I wear? Black is slimming, but I shouldn’t fear color. These shoes might be too high if he tries to kiss me. Do I look fat in this? Should I wear my hair up or down? Is a skirt too much? Jeans not formal enough, right? Earrings — studs or danglies? Short sleeves? My arms are too big. Is this makeup good in ALL lighting? I can’t wear white, it shows everything. Maybe I should just cancel, I can’t find anything to wear.
FOR MEN — (sniff) This looks clean…where are my keys?
So, I give you, courtesy of match.com, a list of the top four should and should-not’s for dates:
FOR MEN —
- No sweatpants.
- No flip-flops and shorts…unless a) you’re going to the beach, b) it’s a holiday and/or picnic-type date, OR c) it’s your 10th date and you’re getting ice cream.
- Nothing covered in pet hair.
- Too much bling. If you usually wear a cross or small chain, fine. Don’t show up lookin’ like Mr. T. (Also, a small amount of scent is OK…but don’t go overboard on the Axe Body Spray!)
FOR WOMEN —
- No Uggs. There’s a reason they’re called Uggs. Seriously. They’re the foot version of sweatpants.
- No “stripper” heels, thigh-high leather boots or super-short mini skirts. LOOK sexy…not like Miley.
- Ease up on the cleavage. If you want to have a real conversation with a man, don’t give him any more distractions.
- No long, fake fingernails. Most men assume this means you’re high maintenance. Most men don’t like high maintenance.