Why I’m Ridiculously Jealous Of Buffalo State Students Today + Some Friendly Freshman Advice
Today is “Move-In Day” at Buff State. And I can’t remember the last time I was this green with envy.
As a Type A personality, of course I was riddled with anxiety on the first day of my freshman year…I was popping Tums like candy. Normal nerves of being in strange surroundings, not knowing anyone, not finding the right buildings…and, of course, how to set the prison-cell-sized room up! Beds parallel? Perpendicular? North/South or East/West? VERY important feng shui things to consider! 😉
Actually, I’m sure it was a combination of all those things that made me the ball of nerves that I was…plus, my dad has always had an uncanny way of embarrassing me — not by making silly jokes or tussling my hair or those other things normal dads do. Mine would manically pace back and forth, smoking Terryton Lights one after another, sighing heavily every few minutes because he was in a hurry to get back home. Like it was a GIANT pain in his butt to be there. That was just how my dad rolled.
My MOM would take her turn at the embarrassment wheel by pointing out all the places SHE had been when SHE went to Fredonia. And suggesting ridiculous Holly-Hobby-type patterns for bedspreads. And telling me where to keep tampons so they wouldn’t get wet nor be seen by any male that may enter the room.
I can still remember the SMELL of my room. And seeing my roommate for the first time. And how NEAT and TIDY my room was for the first 48 hours of residency.
- Label EVERYTHING. As close as you’ll get, your roomies will attempt to steal anything from ramen noodles to deodorant.
- Bring tissue. You WILL cry. Many times. Either over a broken heart, or homesickness, or a nasty professor, or a jerk upperclassman…you WILL cry.
- Be prepared to indulge. You WILL most likely gain weight. It’s NOT the end of the world, and EVERYONE is in your shoes.
- You’re there to work. But play too. Just strike a good balance. If either one (working or playing) stops being productive, increase the other.
- Enjoy. Every. Single. Minute. You WILL miss it in a few years.