No joke and the title was not meant to be "click bait". According to a new study as reported on Daily Mail.com your kitchen sponge is the nastiest, dirtiest single item in your home.

Credit: EnlightenedMedia, ThinkStock

Per the Daily Mail:

"200,000 times dirtier than a toilet seat, experts have linked germs found on sponges, cloths and chopping boards with a bacteria which can cause paralysis...a new study has found there are around 10million bacteria per square inch of a kitchen sponge and a million per square inch on a dish cloth."

 

The best way to use a sponge is to wash a plate with hot water and soap, but NEVER use it to wipe off a plate once it's washed! You are basically undoing the initial cleaning, and who knows what will end up on your plate, and eventually in your food!

I guess I am not going to be "SPONGE WORTHY" any time soon.